Why should you walk? Do you wonder what are the benefits of walking?
In today’s world, everything is a rush. Do you say to yourself “I’ll do it later” or “I’ll walk when I am retired” … and later never happens?
Well, listen up now. You could be missing out on a lot.
NB: I could fill this whole page with the benefits of walking for you. Your heart, lungs, digestion, brain, bones and muscles, endocrine system (that’s the lymph system that sorts your waste), and on and on. And indirectly, your mental and emotional states can settle as you walk off the tensions of the day.
“I don’t have time” I hear you say.
Ah, but here’s the rub. You need new ideas about the time you have now and always. Because when you carry Tight Shoulders or Neck Pain etc all day, it causes sluggishness. You slow down.
Time to get back to the most important need, look after ‘self’, your posture. Ditch the ‘getting healthy’ idea, think the ‘how’ idea. Not just walking but everything you do. The gain is greater.
“How you walk” the walk will increase the benefits way more than just “walking”.
Here’s how I did what I did…….as I walk to the gym (50 minutes away), I think …. be conscious, present. I mind my every step.
10 tips for awakening your body, as you walk or do anything.
1. Firstly let yourself decide the path, the route, the road you are taking. Choose it with care yet with abandon, not out of habit.
2. Now allow your head to be free and mobile – consciously!
3. Notice everything around you, looking ahead on a freely mobile neck. Your eyes see without making any special effort.
4. Command your torso to be alive, to let anything move that wants to move…effortlessly.
5. The hips, the seat of your walk, think of how easy they let your knees fall forward. Make your focus a positive chant.“My hips move easily with each step”
6. Know your knees ! Give them freedom to lead the way. Let your feet hang from the knees.
7. Be conscious of your ankles; how they lubricate themselves to keep you balanced.
8. (With consciousness) let your arms swing … in sync with your footsteps. Say to yourself ‘my arms swing freely from the top of the upper arm right to my finger tips’. Whether you are moving or standing the arms are the extension of yourself…let them move if the want to.
9. Allow your breath to breathe with conscious attention but not with conscious effort.
10. AND…..smile for no reason! Smile’ without actually smiling…. try it, its magic.
Add any other commands that you like too.
Print this out and work with in your ‘going somewhere’ times. Give your whole system the benefits of walking (the easy way).
BE CONSCIOUS! BE HAPPY! BE FREE!
This year I plan some exciting workshops for posture (and for singers). If you are interested, sign up here to get the info right in your inbox.