How to work pain-free for hours on a computer
Can we welcome technology and take care of ourselves too?
Since you have arrived at this page it is obvious that you use the computer. And that it matters ‘how’ you do it.
Do you complain of headaches, stiff neck, backaches, hip and/or knee pain? Are you unaware of the origin of these symptoms?
Is it possible…
Our (technical) cleverness is happening too fast for our ability to adapt (posturely).
Since sitting many hours a day at the computer, your focus is very determined by the screen. You detach with difficulty despite all the good advice you have been given. E.g. ‘sit up straight’, ‘don’t slouch’, take a gap every half hour’.
Here’s some good news…
While you may have all the best of ergonomic furniture and positions (outer ergonomics), now you need to have your inner ergonomics upgraded.
The more you know about your ‘best’ posture (your internal ergonomics), the more you can be positive you’re giving it the best.
- If you consider the weight of your head, at approximately 6 — 8kgs!
- This is supported on top of the spine.
- The lower spine/torso is surrounded by the pelvis.
- This supports the legs which rest on the ground.
When you’re at a computer…
That heavy head is pulling down the spine with all its muscles, gradually causing a change in the muscle system.
Besides, this is the tip of the iceberg!
Are you aware that other health complications such as digestive problems, disturbed concentration, depression, varicose veins, and more, are caused by a tendency to sit collapsed. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms then I have …
Good news for you…you don’t have to live with those problems!
Given the right information, using computer can be way more productively easy for you.
- Whatever we do, we are involved with physical forces.
- With awareness of yourself, your actions and the forces on them, this helps us to move, to rest, and to work with minimal stress and tension on the body.
- Since the body doesn’t need any other support to stay composed, neither does it require any stress to stand or sit.
- Take a look at how you can sit, stand and do all the normal everyday actions with less pull/push on your whole frame.
Why use Alexander Technique?
Since huge global corporations recognize the value of Alexander Technique, their staff gain the benefits of lessons.
Organizations include among many more, The Guardian; British Film Industry; ICI; BBC; Hewlett-Packard; Chanel, Marks & Spencer, Google. They realize overall this brings better health and performance to the company’s employees.
Finally, here is the last word for you…
Take a look at how you can sit, stand, and do all the normal everyday actions with less pull/push on your whole frame. You only have one vehicle for life.
Find out more about how to do less, and be more efficient; email Jann McMichael