About Jann McMichael
After eighteen years of awful back pain, every conceivable treatment and exercise, I read this article…. ‘Find your Body Balance. Replacing poor Body control with a finely-tuned Equilibrium leads to Inner and Outer Harmony’. John Gray, Alexander Technique teacher.
This is my story of how I finally healed my back….
It affected every aspect of my life. No more pain free days, I started curtailing my work hours; gave up my favourite dancing; could not play with my children. Once depression settled in, I became more and more grumpy and tired. I couldn’t wait for bedtime!
What went wrong, I asked myself
The chair is our worst enemy. They’re all made for comfort and ease…huge comfy sofas, luxurious patio chairs, special ergonomic office chairs! I now recognize they led to my downfall! Slouching and slumping in them: Over time my postural muscles became weak, my back no longer stable.
During my fourth pregnancy my back gave in. For the next eighteen years, I had little to no relief. Despite seeking every kind of medical care and exercise.
And then……the turning point.
My journey of 6,000 miles took me to my first Alexander lesson.
After my first lesson…
I walked down the street, a weight lifted from my shoulders. It was a new experience! Nothing like I had had before.
It was energizing, exciting and really positive. While I applied the Technique repair gradually increased as pain symptoms reduced.
Subsequently, I trained as an AT teacher so I could help others too.
I now teach the Technique full time and pain is a thing of the past.
Jann’s teaching manner…
Since qualifying Jann has worked with a wide range of people from many walks of life. She’s spent many years refining the skill of articulate communication and brings this to her teaching. She has also run many group courses to facilitate a better understanding of it.
Jann communicates the importance of maintaining strong poise and ease through wisdom. Her quiet focused manner provides good support to this unique, innovative education. She is a well known, highly respected Alexander teacher, teaching privately and in groups in Auckland.
- Jann has studied extensively with top Alexander trainers in England, Australia and South Africa.
- With husband Ian, Jann qualified in Cape Town in 1998. With Walter Vaughn Jones – 2nd generation master teacher: Peter Scott, Marjory and Wilfred Barlow; and Pat MacDonald.
- She pursued post graduate studies in 2010 in order to train new teachers. With top UK trainers Peter and Ellie Ribeaux; Anthony Kingsley; Brita Forsstrom; Ilana Machover; and Stephen Cooper (Oxford) and John Grey.
Jann earned certification with STAT(SA). And is a member of ATTSNZ – affiliated with STAT – the internationally recognised Society, established in 1958 to promote a high recognised standard globally.
For more information email Jann
Who is F M Alexander?
- An unusual man, he developed this fundamentally practical and unique technique. His ability to question beyond recognized opinion enabled him to gain a deep understanding.
- Through years of patient application, he corrected his own default, a hoarse voice while speaking. Through this, his method of mindful-body re-education evolved.
What makes his technique unique?
It is not an exercise nor a new way of doing something. Rather, it is an education for mind and muscle to re-align. Over long term, it’s ultimately most effective.
For more information email Jann McMichael