About Jann McMichael
About Jann McMichael. After eighteen years of awful back pain, I found this article. ‘Find your Body Balance. Replacing poor Body control with a finely-tuned Equilibrium leads to Inner and Outer Harmony’. John Gray, Alexander Technique teacher.
This is my story of how I finally healed my back
It affected every aspect of my life. No more pain free days. I started curtailing my work hours. Gave up my favourite dancing. Could not play with my children. Once depression settled in, I became more and more grumpy and tired. I couldn’t wait for bedtime!
What went wrong, I asked myself
During my fourth pregnancy my back gave in. Despite seeking every kind of medical care and exercise, I had little to no relief. For the next eighteen years!
The chair is our worst enemy. They’re all made for comfort and ease. Huge comfy sofas, luxurious patio chairs, special ergonomic office chairs! I now recognize they led to my downfall. Slouching and slumping in them. Over time my postural muscles became weak.
And then, the turning point
My journey of 6,000 miles took me to my first Alexander lesson.
After my first lesson
I walked down the street. A weight had been lifted from my shoulders, nothing like I had had before. It was a new experience! At last I was on a path to the balance of my body to regain wellness.
It was energizing, exciting and really positive. While I applied the Technique repair gradually increased as pain symptoms reduced. Subsequently, I trained as an Alexander teacher so I could help others too.
I now teach the Technique full time and lower back pain is a thing of the past.
Jann’s teaching manner
Since qualifying Jann has worked with a wide range of people from many walks of life. She’s spent many years refining the skill of articulate communication and brings this to her teaching. She has also run many group courses to facilitate a better understanding of it.
Jann communicates the importance of maintaining strong poise and ease through wisdom. Her quiet focused manner provides good support to this unique, innovative education. She is a well known, highly respected Alexander teacher, teaching privately and in groups in Auckland.
- Jann has studied extensively with top Alexander trainers in England, Australia and South Africa.
- With husband Ian, Jann qualified in Cape Town in 1998. With Walter Vaughn Jones, who studied with Peter Scott, Marjory and Wilfred Barlow; and Pat MacDonald.
- Through her aim to train new teachers, she pursued post graduate studies in 2010 in UK. With top trainers Peter and Ellie Ribeaux. Anthony Kingsley. Brita Forsstrom. Ilana Machover; Stephen Cooper (Oxford), and John Grey.
Jann earned certification with STAT(SA). And is a member of ATTSNZ, affiliated to STAT – the internationally recognised Society since 1958. Established to promote the highest standards.
For more information email Jann
Who is F M Alexander?
- Firstly, he was an unusual man. He developed this fundamentally practical and unique technique to help himself. His ability to question beyond recognized opinion enabled him to gain a deep understanding.
- Secondly, through years of patient application to himself, he corrected his hoarse speaking voice. Through this, his method of mindful body re-education evolved.
What makes his technique unique?
It is not an exercise nor a new way of doing something new. Rather, it is an education to re-align mind to muscle. Over long term, it’s ultimately most effective.